Flamengo will take on Vélez Sarsfield on Thursday, September 08, at Estadio Jornalista Mário Filho (Maracanã) (Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro).
Flamengo vs Vélez Sarsfield Preview
- Flamengo continues to impress in the knockout stages, conceding just once since the last 16, posting three clean sheets in a row.
- Flamengo have lost only one of their last 21 matches in all competitions under Dorival Junior, following a challenging start to his third stint as manager.
- Since winning the Copa Libertadores in 2020, they’ve been virtually unstoppable, especially at their own stadium where they have scored eight times in their last two games.
- As of June 5, Flamengo hadn’t lost at the Maracana in over three months, when a late Hercules goal from Fortaleza gave the team a 2-1 victory over Fortaleza in the Brasileiro Serie A.
- They haven’t been eliminated in the knockout phase of this tournament since 2008, despite looking unpredictable and inconsistent at the beginning of the season.
- Flamengo have never lost any of their 20 previous matches against clubs from Argentina in this competition.
- Urubu went back in front after going behind early in the second period against Avai in a game Flamengo won 2-1 in a draw against Ceara on Saturday. It was their first defeat at home since July 25th.
- Even though they’ve had a bad record in recent years, Velez Sarsfield will need a huge amount of luck to win against River Plate.
- El Fortin, needing a win to guarantee passage into the knockout round, defeated Estudiantes 4-0, while Union lost by the same score one year ago this Tuesday.
- Although Liniers have won both of those matches at home, they only defeated Athletico Paranaense 3-1 in the 2014 Libertadores group stage.
- It was their worst defeat in a competitive match when Boca Juniors beat them 7-1 in the Champions League opener in March 2021.
- This was this team’s first away defeat since matchday one of the tournament, as well as their first road loss.
- After conceding a goal in the 90th minute, Alexander Medina’s team came back to draw 1-1 with Independiente.
- After losing its first two matches, Velez Sarsfields must find some goals from anywhere after only scoring multiple times during its last eight competitive matches.
- Toluca gave Sao Paulo a scare in 2016, winning 3-1 after losing 4-0 in the round of 16 after coming back from four goals behind.
- In this competition, no club has ever come back to win a knockout stage match after falling behind by four goals.
Flamengo vs Vélez Sarsfield Match Details
|Match:||Flamengo vs Vélez Sarsfield, Conmebol Libertadores 2022.|
|Date:||Thursday, September 08, 2022.|
|Venue:||Estadio Jornalista Mário Filho (Maracanã) (Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro).|
Flamengo Probable Lineup
Vélez Sarsfield Probable Lineup
- De los Santos.
Flamengo vs Vélez Sarsfield Team News
This tie was won by Pedro with a hat trick, which put him at 11 goals, making him the leader in scorers in the competition.
Everton Ribeiro also scored, moving him up to second along with Gabriel Barbosa (four), while Santos kept a clean sheet for the third time in a row.
With the opening leg, Barbosa set up two of his three assists for the season, while Leo Pereira got his first-ever international appearance off to a good start.
Giorgian De Arrascaeta could still be out due to a knock, while Bruno Henrique and Rodrigo Caio are unlikely to play in this match due to knee injuries.
Aside from Lucas Janson, Julian Fernandez, Lucas Pratto, and Matias de los Santos have all scored two goals, tying Julian Fernandez and Lucas Pratto for second place in the 2022 Libertadores.
One more than Janson, Lucas Hoyos has four clean sheets in this competition. Luca Orellano leads them with three assists, one more than Janson.
A knee injury has kept Diego Godin out of this weekend’s match with Newell’s Old Boys, and the starting eleven was changed four times.
In place of Hoyos, Leonardo Jara, Santiago Caseres, and Orellano, Tomas Guidara, Agustin Mulet, and Fernandez began. Hoyos, Leonardo Jara, Santiago Caseres, and Orellano were all benched.
Diego Godin (Injured).
Flamengo vs Vélez Sarsfield Head to Head
Top Fantasy Football Picks
- Pedro: Goal – 07 Assists – 03.
- R Marcelo: Goal -00 Assists –00.
- L. Orellano: Goal – 03 Assists – 01.
- G. De Arrascaeta: Goal – 02 Assists – 08.
- David Luiz: Goal -00 Assists –00.
Flamengo vs Vélez Sarsfield FAQ
Who Will Win The Match Today Between Flamengo vs Vélez Sarsfield?
Flamengo has a high chance of winning the match today.